Bible on Tap
First Wednesday of every month at 7:00 pm.
Join Rev. Simone Hurkmans at the next bible study at the Carleton Tavern in Hintonburg (223 Armstrong St.). Bible on Tap is an opportunity to look at the week’s lectionary readings and other special topics, share a pint, talk theology and enjoy some fellowship together.
The Reading Circle is a book discussion group for women in the parish and community. We discuss a wide variety of books, both fiction and nonfiction. Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of the month, September through June.
The Reading Circle will resume on September 11th, with Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. See our events calendar for upcoming books.
Movies with Meaning:
Not Just Your Ordinary Night Out
The fourth Wednesday of each month. Dinner at 6:00 pm, followed by the film at 7:00 pm.
Following the movie, a lively and engaging discussion is held. To register, please contact the office. Please check our calendar for information on the current movie. See you at the movies!
Parish at Learning (PAL)
We offer occasional Parish At Learning (PAL) sessions in the chapel following the morning Eucharist (usually between September and May). All parishioners are invited to the sessions that begin at 11.15 am and end no later than 12.30 pm.
PAL hours are a project in Adult Education with a variety of presenters. The central purpose is to raise awareness about some of the social issues of our day and ministries provided by our diocese. The sessions also give some of our members a chance to speak about the about the work they do during the week.
Truth and Reconciliation
- learn about the perspectives and experiences of First Nations, Inuit, and Metis in Canada;
- organize learning events for the Parish;
- provide information on available resources and events in Ottawa; and
- develop understanding of our own biases.
Events at All Saints’ Westboro
- Indigenous Detectives Near and Far – A light-hearted look at indigenous sleuths through the writings of popular crime/mystery writers. Contact office for booklist.
- Reading Circle – discussion of Moon of the Crusted Snow by Waubgeshig Rice
Local/Regional EventsEvents not organized or sponsored by ASW that may be of interest.
- NAC Indigeneous Theatre – Upcoming Events and Tickets
- Canadian Museum of History – History Night at the Museum: Traditional Technologies
- Canadian Museum of History – Les journées de la culture 2019: Preserving Cultural Memories
- CBC – ‘Being able to tell our own stories’: Molly of Denali brings Indigenous voices to the fore
ResourcesOngoing: Resource Table in church hall following 9:30 am Sunday service, from September to June
- Unsettling the Word: Biblical Experiments in Decolonization, Steve Heinrichs, ed., Winnipeg: Mennonite Church Canada, 2018
- Coming Full Circle: Constructing Native Christian Theology, Steven Charleston & Elaine Robinson, eds., Fortress Press
- The Four Vision Quests of Jesus, Steven Charleston, New York: Morehouse, c2015